[SI-LIST] Re: package model

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chi.kim@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 03:21:46 -0700

Chiwon,

Yes, you need to section the model and extract each section seperately,
with section sizes small enough for the bandwidth you are interested in.
 If the planes are regular, then you can solve for the traces in the
package with a 2-d field solver.  If it is a leadframe package, then you
can perform the sectioning and extract the results with a 2D field
solver.  The capacitance should be reasonably accurate with this method.
 The inductance will need to be adjusted.  To adjust the inductance in
each 2D section extract the the full structure with 3D and compute the
total inductance. Compare this to the sum of the 2D extracted results
and use this to create a correction factor.  Roll the correction factor
back into the 2D inductances.

Have fun.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Chiwon Kim wrote:

>Hello, everyone!
>I wonder about package model. I use T-model(R,L,C) by extracting HFSS or
>MAXWELL.
>But I think this model somewhat different from measurement result in the 2GBps
>operation environment. Do you know any idea?
>Thanks,
>Best regards
>Chiwon Kim.

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list