[SI-LIST] Re: how to evaluate the maximum overhsoot/undershoot

  • From: "Douglas Burns" <dburns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zanglinyuan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:57:47 -0400 (EDT)

What the overshoot spec trying to specify is the max voltage at which
device lifetime/reliability goals can be met.

There are 2 types of Overshoot specifications needed: Static and Dynamic.
   Static overshoot is defined by the DC spec and is specified in the
   IBIS model by S_overshoot_high and S_overshoot_low. The device can
except
   the elevated voltage for it's entire lifetime.

   Dynamic overshoot refers to a Voltage/Time relationship. Since we're
   talking about device lifetime/reliability, a vendor can specify
   elevated voltages (beyond the DC limit) that, if applied for a
   specific time, would yield the same device characteristics. IBIS
   model this with the D_overshoot_high, D_overshoot_low, and
   D_overshoot_time.

As to your question, these values have to come from the vendor since they
are a function of the specific CMOS process used.

Douglas Burns
Principal Consultant
Signal Integrity Software, Inc.
6 Clock Tower Place
Maynard, MA 01752

www.sisoft.com

> Hi,si-list
> Normally ,we get the absolute maximum voltage from DATASHEET,
> however,the DC voltage range provided is often within -0.3v~vcc+0.5v,
>
> and there is no more specification for overshoot/undershoot.
>
> Asking for component Vendors,they often think the overshoot/undershoot
> should not beyond DC requirement ,that is -0.3v~vcc+0.5V
>
> I don't think the overshoot/undershoot is same as DC specification,but
> I have no method to evaluate and calculate how much the max.
> overshoot/undershoot for  componnet is ok .
> This is very important for us because it's impossible to use so many
> resistor to eliminate overshoot/undershoot.
>
> could anyone proivde some method to calculate the
> max.overshoot/undershoot?

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: