[SI-LIST] Re: one question about simulation tools

  • From: Joseph Aday <josephaday@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 23:06:21 -0700

Hi Scott,

Absolutely, those are all good questions to consider when performing a tool
comparison. But I wasn't suggesting we do that here or offering to provide any
such information. I feel like you completely missed my point: the user should
get his own data so that he can make his own decision for what works best in
his environment. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

Anyway, I was addressing Yuriy's question about how I measure "good success" in
my projects. I am not a consultant, have no tools to sell, and nothing to
"prove." My job is to please my customer with a quality product, delivered
within cost and schedule requirements. If a particular design flow is too
inefficient/slow/costly, that could hurt our business. So my care-abouts must
also include how well those tools tie into our front/backend and how
successfully our engineers can actually use them. Hope that perspective is
helpful.

Joseph

Sent from my iPad

On May 7, 2015, at 6:58 AM, Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Joe
so the questions I always ask are, how good is your measurement correlation
between the tool and structures in your system? Have your correlated your
measurements to benchmark structures? What is the bandwidth limit that
your correlation shows? I generally find that what one person considers to
be good correlation is poor correlation from my perspective. I'm not
saying that is true in your case,. You've presented no information for me
to make an informed opinion either one way or another.

Yuriy used to be part of the design team at Mentor Graphics before he
formed his own electromagnetic solver company. He's pretty aware of what
is in the Hyperlynx tool. Again, don't get me wrong, Hyperlynx is a pretty
good tool, as long as you understand it's assumptions and limitations.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Consultant - R&D
Teraspeed Consulting - A Division of Samtec
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
(401) 284-1827 Business
http://www.teraspeed.com

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Joseph Aday <josephaday@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Yuriy,

I'm sure you can get it from Mentor. They had a hardware/software demo at
their designcon booth as well... gosh I think it was 2013. Do you have a
contact there?

My point is really that users should try the tools themselves and see how
they work in their environment. I felt bad for Chai, who sounded
frustrated and confused that such a popular tool supposedly couldn't
perform its basic job. I actually think the SI tools in general are all
pretty capable, and I've been lucky enough to play with many of them. They
do change every year or so, which is probably another reason why there is
so much misinformation out there (esp wrt to Hyperlynx.)

To me, good success can be shown through cost, schedule, and production
yield. If a particular tool flow enables more of my engineers to more
quickly complete a design at a lower total cost, with good measurement
correlation and yields, then I'm very happy :)

Sent from my iPad

On May 5, 2015, at 8:52 AM, Yuriy Shlepnev <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Joseph,

What is the title of the paper on 28 Gbps you referred to?

Also what was the data rate and the measure of "good success" in your
project? - Analysis to measurement correlation with S-parameters? Or
something else?
I am just wondering how SI engineers come to the conclusion that a tool
is
actually accurate in general.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368; Virtual +1-408-627-7706
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner