[SI-LIST] measuring internal signals on a chip

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:13:38 -0700

Hi All,

Would you like to measure risetimes of internal signals on an IC in a
package? Something like this is possible using E-field coupling.

Most of my articles on noise touch on magnetic field coupling, but
this month's Technical Tidbit presents a simple method of measuring
E-field coupled IC chip noise. Such a measurement can be a useful
troubleshooting tool for designers and EMC personnel as well. One can
even see internal risetimes on the chip.

Abstract: Measuring noise coupled onto a copper foil patch applied to
a chip package can yield useful data. A method of measurement is
suggested and data presented. The data from such a measurement can be
useful for design troubleshooting as well as EMC work. Uses related to
reliable system operation and as well as conclusions for EMC
compliance are presented.

As usual, the link to the article is the picture of the experimental
setup at the bottom of the homepage at http://emcesd.com.

Doug

I will be teaching some of my "tricks" this year at:

Practical Implementation of EMC:
Ideas You Can Use In Your Designs Tomorrow
http://www.elliottlabs.com/services/seminars/sym2003.htm
August 17, 2003 in Boston, MA just before the IEEE EMC Symposium
(with co-presenter Michael King)

EMC, Design, and High Frequency Measurements
http://emcesd.com/seminars/index.htm
September 8-10, 2003 in Orange County, CA, USA
(with co-presenter Michael King)

High Frequency Measurements and Noise in Electronic Circuits
http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/ousep/courses/02hfm.html
November at Oxford University in England
December (details later) in Los Gatos, CA, USA

I also teach private seminars on-site by request. See
http://emcesd.com/hfmcweb.htm for a description.

Have a good month,

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at: