[SI-LIST] Re: material to be sued at 200-500degC

  • From: HaroldLSJ@xxxxxxx
  • To: prasadsa@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:40:07 EST

S A Prasad,

There are only a handful of people in the world that can design for this
temperature range (with over 30 years of experience in high temperature design,

I count myself as one).  Most multilayer Flex boards use an adhesive that
tends to delaminate even at 200C.  I would suggest you investigate thick  film
hybrids.  These boards are made of ceramic, glass and metal and will  do well
at
these temperatures for extended periods of time (they are  manufactured at
over 800C).  If your circuit is simple, try a metal  board with ceramic
insulated metal post standoffs.  At 500C, silicon  will exhibit a large amount
of
leakage loss and will last only a few  minutes -- if at all.  MOSFETs only
barely
work.  Silicon carbide  transistors will do OK at these temperatures and Cree
has made an experimental  SiC Opamp for use at these temperatures.  I would
strongly suggest you find  someone familiar with high temperature design before
you generate more  toast.

Harold L. Snyder, Jr.
Scientist & Consultant

Begin Included Message dated 12/20/2004 10:54:51 PM Central Standard Time,
prasadsa@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
===================================
Hello  All,

I want some technical information from you for the PCB problem  & details
mentioned below.

1. Board type:Flex board
2.  Material used : Polymide 0.5Oz copper clad
3. Layer & thickness :4  layer; 0.024"

For the above material board becomes black & burnout  at temperature
[200-500degC].

I want to know what type of material  is used to for the board to  with stand
high temperature upto  500deg.

Board thickness & size will remain same.

Can anyone  please suggest.

Thanking you,
S A  Prasad
This  e-mail is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above and  may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. If you are not  the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination,  distribution or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.If you have  received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately at  prasadsa@xxxxxxxxxx and
destroy the original message. While this e-mail and  any attachments
have been scanned for common computer viruses and found to  be virus
free, we recommend you also perform your own virus checking  processes
before opening any  attachments.

End Included Message.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: