[SI-LIST] layer stackup assignment

  • From: Jie Wang <jie_wang_2009@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:10:14 -0700 (PDT)

All,
For a 4-layer substrate package, if we assign the top layer
as signal layer, the second and third layer would be Power and Ground
planes.  We have VDD/VSS and AVDD/AVSS, so we have to split the second
and third layer for these two pairs of power and ground.

It would have two options:
  Option 1. In second layer: two third of area as VDD, one third of area as
AVSS,
then in third layer:  two third of area underneath of VDD is assigned as VSS,
the rest area -AVDD.

 Option 2.  In Second layer, two third of area as VSS, one third of area --AVDD,
 then third layer would be: two third of area underneath of VSS is assigned as
VDD, the rest area --AVSS.

My question is:

Do both option work?  Which option is better than the other?

Thanks,

Jie

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net