[SI-LIST] Re: jitter measurements on clock

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prasad <hariprasad.palli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:39:18 -0700

A clock manufacturer is going to do everything they can to eliminate DJ
sources in their laboratory environment.  If you want to characterize RJ
from their parts, then your lab fixture should do likewise.  If you want
to characterize TJ and break it down into RJ and DJ as you intend to
apply the part you have more work to do.

Steve.

prasad wrote:
> hi All,
> normally when we look at the data sheets of a clock signal for the jitter
> number, they usually specify it a RMS jitter.
>
> i understand from the basics that , only random jitter is quantified as RMS.
> i am not sure why there is only random jitter in the clock. is the
> Deterministic component is negligible?
>
> in that case, using our EzJIT plus software, if i want to measure this spec
> of a the clock, what would be my measurement?
>
> is it ok, if i measure the TIE of the clock and take the RMS of the TIE
> trend?
>

> thanks,
> hari

> List technical documents are available at: