[SI-LIST] Re: inductance of a reflowed solder bump

  • From: Raymond Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: firas.azrai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:54:25 -0800

Not sure about the 100um diameter balls , but I've used the number
816pH/mm for
65um dia. solder balls (actually C4 joints). For a height of 70um this
would be about
57 pH.  For 100um balls I'd guess the inductance would be somewhat less.

The number was derived from the twin lead transmission line formula
where the
loop inductance L=0.4*uR*ln(D/a) where D is the distance between conductors
(balls) and a is the radius of the conductor (balls). uR is the relative
permiability
(1.0 for air). Using this equation assumes the balls can be approximated
as cylinders.

Note that this will give you an approximation for the partial inductance
contributed
by the solderball, but says nothing about total loop inductance.

Perhaps someone has some better approximations or formulas.

-Ray Anderson

Firas Azrai wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>Does anyone have a rough estimate or a first order equation that calculates
>the inductance of a reflowed solderball with a base diameter of 100um and a
>height of 70um. Can this structure be approximated to a cylindrical one?
>
>I appreciate any response and input.
>
>Firas S. Azrai
>Electrical Engineer
>Integral Wave Technologies