[SI-LIST] Re: "dominant" losses

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dimiter.popoff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:07:30 +0200

Jeff Loyer,

> My question is, am I the only one who construes the term "dominates" to
> imply that the other term is insignificant?

I take advantage of my English being non-native (so my Oxford dictionary
is usually within reach :-).

dominant - dominating, ruling, prevailing.

dominate - have commanding influence over; overlook, occupy commanding position.

So your interpretation "non-dominant values are negligible" seems wrong.
I had also given this a thought but, like probably any engineering person,
thought that since the dominating positions change there should be also
an equilibrium etc., as you explained in your posting.

Dimiter

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: