[SI-LIST] Re: TDR and line losses

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:49:45 -0800

The article to which Mr. Smolyansky refers,
  "Characteristic impedance of lossy line",
appeared in my regular EDN column on 10/3/2002.

The article is posted at http:\\sigcon.com, under
"archives",
see the alphabetical index , or go here:
http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/LossyLine.htm

Figure 1 in the article illustrates, for a hypothetical,
150-micron (6-mil), 50? FR-4 stripline, the relative
influence of skin-effect and dielectric losses on the
characteristic impedance of a lossy transmission line. The
chart depicts the characteristic impedance of a trace with
only skin-effect and dc-resistive losses (assuming a perfect
dielectric), a trace with only dielectric losses (assuming
zero resistance), and a combination of both.

Figure 2 shows how line losses affect the shape of the TDR
response.

Similar figures appear on pp. 204-205 of my latest book,
"High-Speed Signal Propagation", ISBN 0-13-084408-X, along
with a great deal of additional explanatory text.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howiej@xxxxxxxxxx
http:\\sigcon.com  -- High-Speed Digital Design articles,
books, tools, and seminars