[SI-LIST] Re: currents on microstrip line

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Tesla'" <emcesd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 06:46:38 -0700

Tesla,

Poynting vectors in conductors are perpendicular to the conductor surface
and point into the conductor. I added plots and explanation for that on
slides 16 and 17 at
http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes/MicrostripCurrents_2015_01.pdf. Waves
inside the conductors are attenuating toward the center of the conductor
(Ohm's law + Maxwell's equations), while quasi-TEM wave outside of the
conductors propagates along the direction of the transmission line. This
produces the current reverse effect at some distance from the surface and
also observable as the conductor internal inductive impedance.

Thanks everyone who provided feedback off-line. I added a few slides with
plots for electric and magnetic fields, displacement current and power flow
and illustrations on how short-circuited slot line formed by cut in plane
creates open-circuit condition in the microstrip line.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368; Virtual +1-408-627-7706
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner