[SI-LIST] Re: connector design question

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jim Nadolny'" <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:07:31 -0600

Jim-

The internal self inductance of the lead will increase, due to the high
permeability of the iron, which in turn will increase the loop inductance.
But it turns out to not be much of an issue above 1 MHz. There is another
problem to watch out for, though.

The skin depth scales inversely with the sqrt of the permeability. A high
permeability means a thinner skin depth at lower frequency than in copper.
This means at about 1 MHz, the current is mostly on the outer surface and
there are no internal magnetic field lines in the high permeability
material, so no impact on the loop inductance.

I gave a presentation about 15 years ago on the loop inductance of alloy 42
lead frames vs copper lead frames and showed at 100 kHz, the loop inductance
of the alloy 42 (high permeability) was about 5x that of the copper lead
frame, but by 10 MHz, the loop inductance of the alloy 42 had dropped to the
same as the copper lead frame.

However, the problem with the high permeability material is the skin depth
is so small. This means the series resistance of your lead can potentially
by much higher than an equivalent copper lead, by 10-100x.

The plating will help to buffer this problem, which is what self equalizing
cables do, as you point out. The trick that used to be used on alloy 42 lead
frames was to over plate the lead frame with 80 microinches of silver. This
provided a wire bondable surface on one end, a solderable surface on the
other and gave good DC and low frequency resistance.

You'll want to put in the numbers to see what thickness plating you need to
achieve your low frequency resistance specs. Of course, it its short enough,
it may not matter.

--eric

**************************************
Dr. Eric Bogatin, President
Bogatin Enterprises, LLC
Setting the Standard for Signal Integrity Training
26235 w 110th terr
Olathe, KS 66061
v: 913-393-1305
f: 913-393-0929
c:913-424-4333
e:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.BeTheSignal.com

Upcoming Signal Integrity Classes
San Jose: EPSI, BBDP, DTV, April 7-11, 2008