[SI-LIST] connector design question

  • From: "Jim Nadolny" <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:20:09 -0500

Greetings,

I'm designing a high speed digital connector and to meet some mechanical
requirements I am looking at a pin made of an iron alloy with gold
plating.  The gold plating will get me the required contact physics
properties for durability, contact resistance, etc.  but I got to
thinking about the iron alloy base material.

The self partial inductance of the contact will increase due to the
permeability but the loop inductance won't change (compared to a non
ferrous base material). And the capacitive coupling should not be
affected at all as that is driven by the potential distribution in the
pin field.  In short, I don't think the SI characteristics of the
connector are affected much by the use of a ferrous base material in the
signal pin.

I am not looking at this as a self equalized connector - the length is
only 0.5".  And it's not an RF connector where intermod distortion is an
issue.  That said - I figured I would get the collective input from the
group, I could use some unbiased feedback here...

Thanks in advance.

Jim Nadolny

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net