[SI-LIST] Re: chassis ground connections

  • From: Cosmin Iorga <ci249534@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Bauer <daniel.bauer16@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:46:13 -0800 (PST)

Daniel,

I suggest you to look into the reason why the chassis is connected to the
PCB ground: for example to protect the inside circuits from the outside
electromagnetic field, or to protect the outside circuits from electromagnetic
radiation generated by the inside circuits, or for better ESD protection ...
Intuitively, capacitors may work for ESD transient spikes, but probably not so
well for electromagnetic coupling or radiation.  One rule that I always apply
is to connect to the chassis only in a single point.  Having two or more
connection points may create ground loops that may couple significant
noise across the entire system.

Regards,
Cosmin Iorga,
NoiseCoupling.com