[SI-LIST] Re: accuracy of ICX

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:20:42 -0500

Sunil,

As a user of ICX for 4 years, here is my opinion (worth about 2 cents) :

Once you are familiar with the setup of ICX it becomes an accurate SI tool
(a good example of setup is making sure the Time resolution is changed from
its default of 50ps to something less - I choose 16ps). It doesn't take too
long to become familiar with it - to me, it is a very intuitive tool. When
I analyze a board, I continually review my setup to make sure the results I
get are going to be accurate. Things like stackup, material properties,
corner cases, delay calculation method, rules, and appropriate ibis models,
are some of the things I check after each translation.

Once you have a good SI analyzer the key to accuracy will be the ibis
models. Mentor has a library of measured models that I would describe as
excellent - and they will make your custom ones for a reasonable price and
schedule. We have compared these models to lab measurements, and when we
are very careful with the measurement, we see good accuracy.

best regards,
jim