[SI-LIST] Re: ac drive strength

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:56:42 -0700

Chuck,

I disagree, testing the characteristics of a buffer is
best done with a resistive load (or a long transmission
line).  Measuring the voltage swing tells you how
strong the buffer is, and measuring the time it took
to do that swing is telling you how fast the buffer
is.  The 20-80% of these are the dV and dt numbers
IBIS uses also.

If you load the driver with a capacitor you mix the
strength and speed into one number, and you will not
be able to distinguish between strength and speed.
The same goes for dividing dV/dt into a slope.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation