[SI-LIST] Re: Zo vs Zin

  • From: Om Mandhana <Om.Mandhana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:52:54 -0600

Assuming the voltage and current amplitudes of the traveling wave as
(V0+, I0+) in the +z-direction and (V0-,I0-) in the -z-direction,
the characteristic impedance ZO is equal to the ratio of the voltage
amplitude to the current amplitude for each of the traveling waves
individually (with an additional minus sign in case of the -z propogating
wave).

Thus, the characteristic impedance
ZO = V0+/I0+ = -(V0-)/I0-.

The input impedance, Zin(z) is the ratio of the total voltage, (incident and
reflected),
V(z) to the total current, I(z) at point z on the line.

Thus, the input impedance
Zin(z) = V(z)/I(z).

The characteristic impedance is not equal to the input impdeance, unless one
of the
two waves is absent.

"Clewell, Craig" wrote:

> Jayaprakash,
>
> Zc is the ratio of voltage to current traveling in one direction on a
> T-line.  Remember that a T-line has at least 2 modes of signal flow.  When
> there are no reflections from the far end of the T-line Zin = Zc because
> there is only one mode of signal flow.  When you have reflections on the
> line the relation Zin = Zc breaks down.
>
> Craig

List archives are viewable at: