[SI-LIST] Xtalk from vertical via to horizontal trace

  • From: "Shawn Zheng" <shawn.h.zheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:06:50 +0800

Hi,
I appreciate if you care to offer your help on the following two xtalk
scenarios

1.         xtalk from vertical via to horizontal trace

via

--|

----------------------------------------pwr

 |    ----------------------trace

--|------------------------------------gnd

  --------------

Only read some literature that talk about via to via coupling. I wonder how
much direct coupling is from vertical via to horizontal trace is. I think it
is minimum since the trace is close to the ground. Let us think differently.
It is well known that the current transition through via cause voltage diff
between parallel planes (pwr and gnd) fluctuates. Does the fluctuation then
impact signal on the trace?

2.         pwr reference impact on signal

----------------------------------------pwr

If power plane above trace is noisy but stays larger distance to trace than
ground plane, how much does the power plane affect trace reference to
ground? Kind of similar to the first question above.

Thanks.

Shawn

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net