[SI-LIST] Re: Windows-based schematic editors

  • From: "Michael Poimboeuf" <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:30:27 -0800

Cohesion from Silicon Canvas is the evolution of Xilinx for ECS
(Engineering Capture System).
I've used both Viewlogic (now DxDesigner) and ECS (now Cohesion). I went
from Viewlogic to ECS and then back again to DxDesigner. They're both
fine product lines. ECS/Cohesion is simpler to use than DxDesigner, but
there is a much larger codebase (native+3rd party+homegrown) supporting
DxDesigner.

The version of ECS I used was the last version that Jesse Newcomb,
SiCanvas VP of Product Development, used when he was a designer at
Silicon Graphics (he spent 4 years there overlapping my seven). I
shipped several successful and profitable products using that version of
ECS. =20

I especially liked the flat structure and ASCII output from ECS. It
allows quick tracing of signals between pages and makes source revision
control a breeze. The problem with DxDesigner is that you have to
archive a snapshot of an entire design to to back-ups whereas with ECS
you just have to back-up the files that change - often as few as one
file.

DxDesigner has the larger codebase though... And that's what I use today
because that's what I use.=20

Just like I use Microsoft Word even though I prefer Framemaker. I use it
because that's what I use.

--
mkp=20

List FAQ wiki page is located at: