[SI-LIST] Re: Why do we use transformer for DC blocking in ethernet connection ?

  • From: "Tang, George" <George.Tang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <glenchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:39:43 -0700

A transformer does a lot more than DC blocking.  It blocks common mode
signals (power / ground noise), matches impedances, provides ground
isolation, blocks lighting surges, and enforces a balanced differential
driver to reduce EMI.  It would be VERY DIFFICULT for a capacitor to do
all that. =20

George Tang=20

LSI Logic=20