[SI-LIST] Re: VRM Modeling of commercial DC-DC convetors

  • From: "Smith, Larry" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sij99@xxxxxxxxx" <sij99@xxxxxxxxx>, "istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:14:12 +0000

Jack - The paper you mentioned is most likely the origin of the component
parameters required by Allegro because the parameter names are identical.  When
Ray Anderson, I and some other engineers at Sun Microsystems wrote this paper
back in the 90's, the typical VRM was in a silver box mounted in the computer
chassis and connected to the mother board with wire cables about a foot long.
VRMs that mounted to the PCB were just becoming popular.  The 4 element circuit
topology made a lot of sense back in those days.  But now, I just use a series
L and R for the switching portion of the VRM similar to the topology that Dr
Johnson has shown.  Here is a link to our paper buried in some old SI-list
archives:

http://www.si-list.net/files/published/sun/cpmt_1999.pdf

The paper gives some guidance on how to calculate L_slew from knowledge of the
transient current (dI), the allowable voltage droop (dV) and the amount of time
that it takes the switching regulator to slew that amount of transient current
(dt).  The best you can hope for from simulation of this model is an estimate
of the bulk capacitance needed to go with the VRM with this kind of transient
response.

Let me make a comment on frequency domain analysis and switching power
supplies.  Buried in frequency domain analysis are assumptions about linear and
time invariant circuits.  Switching power supplies are neither..  The circuit
topology varies with time ( the switches..) and they are very non-linear
(doubling voltage does not double current).  We must be very cautious when
attempting to use frequency domain models for switching power supplies.   The
transient response to a rising current waveform is often quite different
(asymmetrical) compared to a falling current waveform.  Our simple model would
require different L_slew values for rising and falling transient current
waveforms.  A complete analysis requires time domain simulation and more
complex models.

The same comment can be made for step function PDN loads where on-die circuits
demand a square wave of current.  The damping is very different on the rising
current edge compared to the falling current edge.  The load for our PDN
circuit is not time invariant.  Power integrity analysis is usually done in the
frequency domain with linear and time invariant assumptions but a complete
analysis should involve both frequency domain and time domain simulation.

Regards,
Larry Smith