[SI-LIST] Re: VRM Modeling of commercial DC-DC convetors

  • From: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sij99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:59:21 -0700

Dear Jack,

How about an article titled, "Voltage Regulator Model", would that help you?

   http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/VoltageRegModel.htm

The article looks at the response of a common, simple, dominant-pole
regulator. The example used in the article is the Texas Instruments
PTH08T220W switching-regulator module.  The article shows the observed
response of this regulator and explains how features of the measured
response waveform relate to the component values in a circuit model. The
general method in the article may help you see how to solve your problem.

I do not know whether the particular circuit model used in the article
matches the circuit model used in your simulator tool, but it sounds pretty
close. The model in the article assumes two L's and two R's, much like
yours.

About your other question, whether using typical component values will be
"close enough" for your purpose depends on the accuracy you need in your
simulation results, and whether there exist any resonances in your power
system that might produce sensitive, finicky behavior. For me, personally,
in a typical computer power system, if I can vary the typical power-system
model values plus and minus twenty percent and the power system simulation
still shows acceptable behavior (nicely damped, like in the article), then I
assume all is well and move on to the next problem. Others may differ on the
exact level of variation that they feel is "acceptable" -- that's a subject
of great debate.

...if you look here (http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/pubsKeyword.htm) under the
keyword "power system" you will find a number of related articles about VRM
stability and power system testing that you may find interesting.

Hope that helps,
Howie Johnson
P.O. Box 1309, Twisp, WA 98856