[SI-LIST] Re: Using W-element in HSPICE

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'john lipsius ' <johnlipsius@xxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:03:49 -0400

There is an alternative to calculating the impedance from the RLGC
parameters extracted by the W element...  Since you have to run a simulation
to get the RLGC parameters why not set up a TDR while your at it and let
HSPICE do it for you.  You can set up infinite pulses if you like (just
amplitudes and rise time), or add the fall time delay, etc...if you wish. By
adjusting the rise time you will be able to increase or decrease your
frequency content. Then, set up a TDR in your simulation by adding a small
delay (greater than your rise time)just before your DUT on both lines of the
differential pair.  Probe these points and do the subraction within the
equation writer in AWAVES(V1-(-V2)).  The result will be the reflection of
the lines.  Calculate the reflection coefficient and then from there you can
calculate the impedance.

A trick that I use is make the voltage sources 100 Volts (passive device)
and assume that your NEXT has reached saturation.  Then you can also probe
for the crosstalk and the value you get will already be in percent since the
100 Volts will cancel with the 100 multiplier.

This will allow you to get the Zo, NEXT and the RLGC parameters all in the
same run.

Craig

From: <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxx>