[SI-LIST] Re: Using W-element in HSPICE

  • From: "john lipsius" <johnlipsius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 20:22:38 -0700

Bob,

Also, see the si-list archives and gigatest.com
http://www.gigatest.com/pdfs/GTL48.pdf
and see avanti's HSpice Manual, chapter on "Using Transmission
Lines", section "Using the W Element".   Ie: rtfm.

Disclaimer:  I've done this with Apsim RLGC tool, which outputs a RLGCFILE
for use with W-element and calculates all the stuff you want.  Also, as far as I
know, the built-in field solver option for W-element isn't accurate/reliable, so
the rlgc or Uelem input options must be used, instead.

to answer you...

The RLGC don't change.  You calculate a differential impedance (using the RLGC)
if your signal is odd mode (+v on one, -v on the other).  This is the Z that
the signal
will see, not a direct property of the traces.  The Zdiff  is a function of
Zodd which
*is* a function of the trace geometry:

Zdiff   =  2 * Zodd  = 2 * (Z11 - Z12)   for coupled symmetric pair,
where Z12=Z21=Zmutual

and Zij = sqrt[ (R+jwL)/(G+jwC) ]     i,j = 1,2     w=2*pi*freq ,

where the RLGC have subscripts "ij", too, and are what you input to the model.
Careful.... from what I can understand, the W-element G, C matrices' are what
avanti
calls "Maxwellian", so that the ii diagonal elements are actually the sum of
the ii and the
|ij elements| (abs value) for i=const. So, to get C11 in the above for Z11
you'd have to
take C11-|C12| from the model matrix.   But, you better verify this.

If you use the U-model form with elev=2 you input RLGC matrices that have
'normal'
format, where for example C12 means C12 and C11 isn't the sum of elements in
its row.

     Also note, PMC-Sierra has a good appnote on using W-element for high freq.
 sim.
     app note  PMC-2010793   "High Freq. Simulation with HSpice"  Issue 2 or
later
     (Aug/01)    See appendices B, E.

Ie: As with other models, the correct number of shorter length W-elem segments
must be
used in tandem to constitute the trace model, each segment being about 1/10 the
electrical
length traveled by one edge duration, to accurately model the system.  App. E
offers important
HSpice parameters for accurate results in the face of short edge times.