[SI-LIST] Re: Understanding S-Parameters

  • From: "QU Perry" <Perry.Qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WILSON III Ralph" <wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:39:20 -0500

Ralph:

There are two ways to setup ports in CST or many other 3D full wave
tool, one is waveguide port and the other discrete port. Waveguide port
is used to excite TEM or quasi-TEM transmission with fields excitation
on a surface area perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.
Usually a certain length of TL lines is  necessary between port location
and discontinuity (e.g. via) that you want to characterize so that all
higher order modes at excitation are attenuated before reaching the
structure. If you have a natural transition between one uniform TL and
another TL with a via, I think waveguide port is most appropriate. When
setting up waveguide port, you can define the modes of excitation and
mixed mode or  single-ended S parameter can be calculated.

Another type of port is discrete port and they are used very often when
you don't have room to put a leading TL to setup waveguide port, e.g.,
these are used very often in IC packaging characterization. In general,
the ports are defined between two closely spaced conductors to act as an
excitation. As you mentioned, you can either excite the structure
single-ended by define a port between P/N and ground, or you can excite
between P and N differentially. For the first case, you end up with a 4
port single ended S parameter set, which  can be used to extract mixed
mode S parameter if needed. For the second case, you end up with
differential S12/S11 only. I always use single-ended discrete port and
get 4 port model as these model can be used to extract differential S
parameter and also can be used directly in spice simulation for time
domain waveform. Also, 50 ohm port impedance is usually used when you
define the single-ended discrete port and 100 ohm for the differential
port.=20

About interpretation of S11, I'm not sure if you need to calculate Z0 of
via. The ultimate goal is to minimize return loss for the frequency of
interest and there are only certain things you can do, e.g., anti-pad
size, adding ground shield vias and minimize stubs etc. You can setup a
few parameter and do some sweep simulation/optimization.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Perry

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20

Perry Qu=20

Design & Qualification, Alcatel-Lucent Canada Inc.

600 March Road, Ottawa ON, K2K 2E6, Canada=20

DID: 613-7846720  Fax: 613-5993642=20

Email: perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20

=20

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: