[SI-LIST] Re: Understanding S-Parameters

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:31:27 -0500

Ralph-

You may gain a little insight in single ended and differential via design by
looking at the talk I am giving at the Agilent ADS roadshow, on "Designing
transparent vias". I cover both single ended and differential via design.

The schedule for the tour is posted at:
http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/eventDetail.jspx?cc=US
<http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/eventDetail.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=8737
87&nid=-536900532.536905430.08&id=873787>
&lc=eng&ckey=873787&nid=-536900532.536905430.08&id=873787

If this link doesn't go through, there is another link posted on my web
site, www.bethesignal.com <http://www.bethesignal.com/> , under the "where's
eric" tab at the top of the splash page.

I also posted a copy of the handouts for this talk on my web site under the
features articles tab.

The bottom line is that to make a transparent differential via, you want to
make the return loss, SDD11, as large a negative dB value as you can, and
make the insertion loss, SDD21 as close to 0 dB as you can.

As a quick estimate, and to provide guidance on which knobs to tweak, and in
which direction, you can fit the via to an ideal differential pair model,
with a diff stub attached, as needed, to extract the differential impedance
and the degree of coupling.

In looking at a number of stack up configurations, I typically find that if
nothing special is done in the design, the coupling, Z21, is small and the
diagonal element, Z11, is very low. To match the via to a 100 ohm diff
impedance usually requires increasing the single ended impedance by such
things as removing the NFPs and increasing the antipads clearance holes. As
I show in my talk, since there still is considerable coupling, you can't
just take two  50 Ohms single ended vias and have them be optimized for 100
Ohms differential vias. You have to include the impact for the coupling.

Feel free to drop me a note off line if you have any questions about the
method I used. I hope to have this talk posted as an online lecture in the
next month.

--eric

**************************************

Dr. Eric Bogatin, President

Bogatin Enterprises, LLC

Setting the Standard for Signal Integrity Training

26235 w 110th terr

Olathe, KS 66061

v: 913-393-1305

f: 913-393-0929