[SI-LIST] Undershoot, Overshoot

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:23:57 -0500

If I had my way, I would relate electrical overshoot and undershoot to their
mechanical equivalents as such:

Overshoot = underdamped
Undershoot = overdamped

Therefore, I would call the amount a signal bounces below ground on the
incident edge "negative overshoot".

Andy is quite right, however - there is abundant disagreement about this
particular terminology, so this is just my opinion.

As for SPECCTRAQuest, it calls the amount the signal exceeds the rail
"Overshoot High", and the amount the signal goes below ground "Overshoot
Low".

Happy Holidays,

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
SI Engineer - Hammerhead Networks
5 Federal Street - Billerica, MA - 01821
email:twester@xxxxxxxxxxx - ph: 978-671-5084

"Oh, but ain't that America, for you and me
 Ain't that America, we're something to see
 Ain't that America, Home of the Free
 Little pink houses, for you and me"

- John Mellencamp

List archives are viewable at: