[SI-LIST] Re: USB cable model

  • From: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ron@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:41:24 -0700

This is a very big hammer to solve what should not be a very big problem.
 Adherence to spec is the bedrock of this design.  Stock USB 2.0 rated
cable applied in the recommended way should get you there.  If not, then
a TDR can help find where the spec is violated, and that will be either
where the cable meets the connector, where the mating connector meets the
PCB traces, the traces themselves (most likely), or where the traces meet
the chip or passive components (next most likely).  TDT should be used in
conjunction with TDR, because a cable with high attenuation can look good
on TDR, yet fail to deliver proper TDT waveforms.  Is more than the spec
rated distance contemplated?  Will these not be off-the-shelf cables?  If
there is nothing special about this design, nothing above and beyond
recommended practices should be required for implementation.

Orin

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: