[SI-LIST] Re: Those of you interested in Field Solvers, Stack Ups, Spacing, Crosstalk, Matlab

  • From: "burke_ipc" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:46:32 -0000

Jon, Certainly the HSPICE models are the most widely known, but
whether or not it is the best is a matter of opinion...

A couple of things:

(1) check the link out and view the PCB West paper presented by
interactive products which details the lossy model structures. There
is also a white paper button with a compressed non-graphic
discussion.  Dr. Richard Elco is reponsible for both the content and
the model creation wrt the papers.

http://www.interactive-products.com/download.htm

Under the presentations section there is a PDF file:

SPICE-Loss-Models-pcb-west-2003-5.pdf (has graphic representations
of loss models and Cauer function explanations) as well a white
paper.

Dr. Richard Elco can be contacted at elcora@xxxxxxx . I will contact
and copy him advising him of your interest.

(2) The advantage to these models is that they are completely
portable and can be used in any SPICE platform.

(3) We have documented testimonial from various companies which have
spent a great deal of time validating the models and comparing them
to HSPICE.

(4) I have followed the dialog in this forum and Nicklas (it seems)
was merely informing the forum of the FREE EZStack Module which is
one module: rapid stackup geometry and BEM portion of our product
which includes a very rich report eliminating the need for SPICE
during the design phase.

(5) For those who are content and intent to use HSPICE, they may do
so by taking advantage of the LCRacRdcGacGdc xtk-xfx report format
and input these values directly into HSPICE and generate a "W-
Element" model.

User's who are current with our latest product revisions who wish to
comment, please do so.

Best Regards,

Brian Burke
Interactive Products Corporation

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jon Powell" <jonpowell@xxxx> wrote:
> I am going to make a statement that I cannot support and would be
interested
> in
> any knowledgeable responses:
>
> I had understood that the W-element model in HSPICE was the best
(Hspice)
> lossy
> coupled Tline model.
>
> regards,
> jon

Report and
> EZStack Module I was referring to. Secondly, the SPICE model
generator is
> not included with EZStack, however the lossy SPICE models work
well if you
> know what you are doing and use the appropriate one. I have
benchmarked the
> lossy ladder and lossy modal models against H-SPICE, and I have
found them
> to be stabile (e.g. no causality),  faster and they are universally
> portable.  You just have to know that in general, ladder models
are better
> for shorter structures and modal models are good for longer ones
such as
> cables. (This has to do with the modes of propagation and the
controlled
> sources derived from the eigen values for the modal models, and
the inherent
> solve time issue with respect to the ladder models for longer
structures).

> Nicklas
Stack Ups,
> Spacing, Crosstalk, Matlab
>

> > ....be careful of the lossy models that this software generates.
> >
> > Craig

Stack Ups,
> > Spacing, Crosstalk, Matlab
> >

> > There has been much discussion on these topics lately, and I just
> > wanted to advise those interested that there is a FREE new BEM
> > product with a beautiful interface and extensive report which
> > includes Zo,Zeven,Zodd,Zdiff,LRCG, and crosstalk coefficients
> > available which can do all of the things being discussed of late
in
> > this forum. It has been benchmarked against numerous SI tools
such
> > as Ansoft and comes up strong. You should check it out.
> >
> > http://www.interactive-products.com
> >
> > Nicklas

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help: