[SI-LIST] Re: Those of you interested in Field Solvers, Stack Ups, Spacing, Crosstalk, Matlab

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, nicklas@xxxxxxxxx, cclewell@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:38:37 -0500

Craig's ominous warning seems to me to be a bit unfair to the Interactive
Products software. I am not saying that he is wrong, but I think it would be
better to say that you need to be careful with a coupled, lossy model
generated by ANY software.

We have been working on a paper here at Samtec which compares various
approaches to lossy (and lossless) modeling.  We have investigated the
Interactive Products software and the Hspice W-element, along with several
other commonly available packages, including some measurement based
approaches. There are a lot of tools out there.

Our efforts have been ongoing for several years. We were planning to publish
the results to date at DesignConn in January, but our paper was not selected
for presentation.  We are currently considering other options, but haven't
firmed up anything yet. The paper won't include any Earth shattering
technological break-throughs or secret processes, but will be more of a
"lessons learned" sort of document.  We should have something presentable in
a month or two, and I will post a notice to the list here when appropriate.

In general, we have found that the "best" modeling method depends on your
particular situation (how many times have you heard that here?).  There are
definitely pros and cons to each approach. Describing any one of them as the
be all, end all, silver bullet solution just doesn't make sense.

One of the biggest factors in determining which approach is best for a
particular situation is the type of physical structure involved. We're
personally experienced with cables, PCB's, and connectors. Each of those
tends to have unique features which steer us towards different modeling
approaches.

Other important trade offs include desired accuracy, time and effort
required to develop the model, time and effort required to use the model,
length scalability, and model portability.  Available material properties
information can play into the mix as well.

I'll let you know when our paper is ready for prime time, and how to access
it.

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager
Samtec, Inc.