[SI-LIST] Re: Thermal measurements on a test board

  • From: jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:01:26 -0400

Hello all, At Package level (buildup technology) , our measurement of the
copper conductivity is closer to 5.5 e7 S/m at room temperature (some
variation can be seen depending the laminate suppliers (related to their
semi additive plating processes)

Jean Audet
Electrical Analysis
STG / World Wide Packaging & Test
Organic and Ceramic Packages
IBM Corp. (Bromont)

From: Jeff Loyer <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, george.q.jiang@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2015-10-26 14:33
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Thermal measurements on a test board
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,
Charles is right - we never got to the bottom of the issue. And it's
reassuring that George got the same numbers, though in our paper we list
other sources who have measured approximately the same resistivity (it's
not a measurement error). The papers we published were:
"Accurate Insertion Loss and Impedance Modeling of PCB Traces" and
"Humidity and Temperature Effects on PCB Insertion Loss "

As Istvan noted, it's important to strongly distinguish between stripline
and microstrip layers.
Stripline layers (for rigid PCBs) are ED copper, probably subjected to
some kind of processing to enhance their adhesion properties. Our
measured resistivity for stripline was 2.1e-6 ohm-cm (4.7e7 S/m
conductivity).
Microstrip layers are primarily the plating copper (for relatively thick
server boards). Our measured resistivity for microstrip was 2.4e-6
ohm-cm (4.1e7 S/m conductivity).
(Copper resistivity = 1.7e-6 ohm-cm, conductivity = 5.88e7 S/m)

The temperature coefficient was even more disturbing, primarily because
it's such a simple measurement (note the change in resistance for a
certain temperature range) but also because it varied so much between
samples and between foreign and domestic (U.S.) vendors:
Temp Coefficient

top sl1 bot sl2
Foreign Vendors' Average: 0.25% 0.28%
0.22% 0.32%
Domestic Vendors' Average: 0.38% 0.40%
0.55% 0.41%
(Copper temp. coefficient = 0.4%/degree C)

I don't think the problem is the copper as delivered to the laminate
vendors for foil lamination, IPC specs. that carefully and I believe the
laminate suppliers and foil vendors monitor it.

One final data point I have to offer is that my understanding is that the
disparity is not seen on copper used in packages - those match that of
copper.

Jeff Loyer
(previously w/ Intel)
Signal & Power Integrity Product Manager
Altium US