[SI-LIST] The standard eye mask test

  • From: "chen, jinhua" <chen_jinhua@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:10:26 -0400

Hi,

I know there must be someone in the list can give me help in this topic.

The eye mask test is used in a lots standard specs for signal quality test.
For
example, FC standard specified the TX output eye mask and receiver input
eye mask.

When the eye patterns are measured in the lab, there are so many variations.
The uncertainty of anyone of those variations can make the test fail or
pass.
Here I list a few variations:
    a.) Number of samples be taken for each test
(hundreds/thousands/forever?).
    b.) What kind of trigger signal used for the test. Use recovered clock
from
    CDR, or use golden PLL clock?
    c.) What kind of data patterns should be used(CJPAT/PRBS or others)?
    d.) No any eye mask violation can be accepted? Or a few violations cab
be
    accepted for TX output eye mask?

In general, is there any STANDARD PROCEDURES to make eye mask measurement
with those standard specs?

Thanks!
Jinhua Chen

Signal Integrity