[SI-LIST] Re: The Implications of Nonmonotonic Transitions

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tucsonAz" <tucsonaz111@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:36:32 -0000

hi

you mean input setup time of the receiver?
at the receiver chip, the input data is clocked to a clock signal, or to a
write/read strobe rising edge. input setup times are related to one of these
edges on your board.
If the data does not have stable value inside the input setup time region,
then the device can detect it as 0 or 1, so completely random.
if the non monoton edge is outside the input setup / input hold regions,
then it should be OK.
you should also consider clock jitter and PCB propagating delays as well...,
not just the input su/h parameters, so do a timing analysis, to determine
the safe region where your signal is allowed to be non-monoton.
read this: http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/spra839a/spra839a.pdf
or this: http://www.syncad.com/pdf-docs/paper_cc_timing_everything_2003.pdf
or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Timing-Analysis-Simulation-Integrity-Engineers/dp/B00132S6X2