[SI-LIST] Target impedance for power plane

  • From: "Lakshmi N. Sundararajan - PTU" <lakshmi.s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:31:30 -0800

Hi Experts!
Over the last week there has been so many emails on the s-param and
channel modeling.

I am still in the process of digesting each of your responses.

I would like to thank you all for those wonderful insightful advices and
observations.

I have another question on how can I calculate what should be the target
impedance of power plane?

Suppose, assume I have a V1P2V supply to a IC. V1P2V can be from 1.15V
to 1.25V.

And the max current when all signals are switching is 800mA.

Given this requirement, then for this IC, should the power plane
impedance be 1.15V/0.8A = 1.4ohms

Or should I consider only the ripple on the power which would be 0.1V
and so the impedance would then be 0.1V/0.8A = 0.125ohm

Please suggest some pointers incase I am way off.

Thanks,

-LN

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net