[SI-LIST] Re: TDR impedance measurement and rise time

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Istvan Nagy <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:38:00 -0400

Hi Istvan,

To get a good correlation, one proven approach is to find a suitable
model, which captures
all major contributors and signatures that matter, and match the model
to the measured data,
whether it is TDR or VNA data.  If the model is valid for the device you
measure, you should
be able to get correlation close to the accuracy of your measurement.
For instance, if your
trace and dielectric geometry is uniform enough that a cross-section
geometry and material
properties are all what you need to describe the interconnect, you can
take the appropriate
per-unit-length frequency-dependent resistance, inductance, capacitance
and conductance,
and simulate what for instance a TDR instrument would show you.  You can
either blindly
optimize the parameters going into the model, or even better, you can
assist the optimization
with measured parameters on things that you can measure, such as cross
section geometry,
Dk and trace resistance, inductance (at whatever frequency you can
measure them).

Even though you can point out certain inter-relations between the f
frequency of Zo(f)
and the TDR profile, we need to keep in mind that going back and forth
between time
and frequency domains involves wide-band (theoretically infinite)
integrals, so we should
not try to correlate a single frequency point to a single time point.

The built-in scenarios in the Lossy_trace_parameters_v-w01.xls
spreadsheet (posted on
http://www.electrical-integrity.com/, Tool download) will show the
variations in Zo(f)
as a function of frequency and interconnect parameters.  You will notice
that the conductive
loss will create a tendency of negative slope (impedance drops as
frequency goes up),
whereas dielectric loss creates a positive slope.  All-in-all, you get a
bathtub curve, where
the low and high-frequency slopes and shapes depend on the conductive
and dielectric
losses independent of each other (reason: at very low frequencies
dielectric losses can be
neglected; at very high frequencies the conductive loss diminishes in
relation to dielectric
losses).  You can notice that assuming a typical trace skin loss and the
worst-case 3.5%
Df for an FR4 laminate, the characteristic impedance (magnitude) has a
48 Ohm
minimum at 25 MHz, and its value rises to 48.4 Ohm at 100 MHz, 50.36 Ohm
at 1GHz
and 53.3 Ohm at 10 GHz.  This is actually 10% variation over two decades
of frequency.
Note, however: if you plug in a Df value of 1%, the Zo(f) curve
'flattens out' at high
frequencies and you get 50.4 Ohm at 100 MHz and 51 Ohm at 10 GHz, just a
little
over of one percent variation.  This gives us the first clue that a
lower loss tangent not
only will reduce the signal attenuation, but also the Zo(f) variation of
the interconnect.

At lower frequencies the impedance variation is much more pronounced,
but here you
have other factors to help you: the length of a typical PCB interconnect
trace becomes
such a small fraction of the wavelength that the impedance mismatch
simply wont matter.

We also need to keep in mind that there are several factors that may add
to the complexity
of this picture or may mask out these trends altogether.  The obvious
one is any discrete
discontinuity along the trace, like a via, but lets assume we rule those
out for now.  Just
related to the uniform model, we still have surface roughness of the
conductors and the
glass-weave effect.  These two factors will modify the above trends
somewhat, but will
not change the signs of the two slopes in the Zo(f) curve.  For an
excellent summary on
these items you can look at the recent book: Stephen Hall, Howard Keck:
Signal Integrity for High-Speed Digital Designs. IEEE-Wiley, 2009.

The last item, which also might be bigger than any of the above, is the
potential nonuniformity
of the trace.  Partly this may be related to the glass-weave effect, but
even more it is
due to differences in copper etching and differences in resin flow in
various parts of the
board, which will create different local dielectric constants (due to
different glass-resin ratio)
and different cross section geometries (trace width and layer height).
This non-consistency
from lot-to-lot and non-consistency within a panel are the major reasons
behind each PCB
fabricator's tolerance numbers.  Typically 10% on inner layers and 15%
on outer layers.
These tolerance numbers assume very little if any variations due to
inductance and capacitance
variations, because those measurements assume the same methodology.
Wherever it may
fall on the frequency axis of a Zo(f) curve, from the same vendor it is
the same frequency
point for all measurements.

Your questions are valid and represent the current challenges for many
of us in the industry.
This also reminds me how the important aspects have evolved over time.
When I started
to do signal-integrity courses almost twenty years ago, no-one cared yet
for dielectric loss,
or those few who already had this challenge, already knew enough about
it.   As a result,
only a couple of hours from the full-week class had to be devoted to
trace losses. Ten
years ago people were interested in w-line models, but causality as a
requirement was
important for only a few applications.  In contrast, more than half of
the latest class
material is touched one way or the other by the frequency dependent
nature of interconnects,
as this phenomenon penetrates more and more aspects of signal integrity.

Finally, one of the few things that works in your favor in a lossy
interconnect, is the fact that
more losses will attenuate the reflected wave more, so eventually the
signal degradation
due to mismatch will be much less.  With higher losses the Zo(f) curve
has more deviation
from nominal, but the resulting higher reflections may not matter.  Or,
when you are lucky
enough to start with a low-loss scenario, the impedance variation does
not show up strongly
in the first place.

Regards,

Istvan Novak