[SI-LIST] Re: Switch On & Switch Off Clicks due to Amplifier noise

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:51:52 -0500

Is the amplifier powered all the time, or do you turn on its power in order
to play the message?

What do you mean by "when I switch on the sound"?  Do you have some sort of
analog gate between the sound source and the amp?  Or is it something like a
.wav file that gets activated?

Probe at the input to your audio amp and check if the clicks are there too.
If there's an analog switch in the audio path, there are a few ways it can
introduce a transient directly into the audio.

Why do you suspect an amplifier phenomenon, and the power supplies?  Are
other clicks and noises also being introduced into the amp from other
sources in your system?

Regards,
Andy

>             In my application I am using a Stereo quality Audio
> Amplifier (TDA 7057A - Philips) for Sound Playback. I have kept the
> analog supply of amplifier isolated from the rest of the system along
> with the addition of high frequency by-pass capacitors as specified by
> the vendor. When I switch on the sound, a noticeable ‘click’ is heard
> before the playing of the message. The same ‘click’ is also heard after
> the sound playback.
>
> I suspect that this may be due to some amplifier phenomenon.  Have
> someone experienced this issue before while designing with audio
> amplifiers.?. If yes, then how to resolve it ?.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: