[SI-LIST] Re: Spice simulators - HSPICE vs PSPICE

  • From: Peter LaFlamme <plaflamm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.h.simon@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:59:09 -0400

Spicelink to create HSPICE compatible databases. There is some initial
setup and a learning curve. You need to create your own symbols and link
models to those symbols, but I think that the PSPICE schematic tool
requires that also (if the device is not included in the library). I am
not sure of the price for Viewdraw and the Spicelink add-on but it is
not super expensive (I believe less than $10K, not sure though). You can
also look into Hyperlynx which has "spice writer" that allows you to
extract your net topology into a spice file for simulation.

Also Cadence Spectraquest has spc2spc utility which allows you to
extract a spice model of your netlist. It allows you to designate
whether you want W-lines , or T-lines. The sigexplorer has a 2D field
solver which creates RLGC files for w-lines that you extract. There is
also a learning curve associated, but it is also pretty easy to use.

I have used all of these tools and think that they are all pretty good.
I suggest Ashok look into these tools if you are thinking of using
HSPICE or doing other SI work.

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter LaFlamme

Applied Micro Circuits Corp.
Staff System Applications Engineer
200 Minuteman Rd, 3rd Floor
Andover, MA 01810

978-247-8470 phone
978-623-0055 Fax

chris.h.simon@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ashok,
>
> I don't know the current price of HSPICE, but I believe the PSPICE
> price, if you include the schematic entry package, is more than $4500.
> One advantage of PSPICE over HSPICE is that PSPICE does have a
> schematic entry interface, whereas HSPICE requires that you use a text
> editor to enter the SPICE model lines into an ASCII input file.  There
> are people who ARE using schematic entry to enter HSPICE simulations,
> but I don't believe that theses schematic editors are commercially
> supported for that purpose.
>
> As far as modelling multi-GHz signals, the transmission line model
> built into PSPICE is completely inadequate.  Or at least it were a
> couple of years ago when I did a comparison of model vs. measurement.
> The w-element model in HSPICE is as accurate as anything I've come
> across in a commercial tool.  (That's not to say that it's perfect.)
> The w-element is not supported by PSPICE.  Given this I would say that
> even if the cost of HSPICE is more than the cost of PSPICE, it's worth
> the money if accuracy in transmission line models is important.
>
> As far as simulating integrated circuits, I believe that HSPICE is
> used very widely and supports BSIM MOSFET models.  We use it for all
> of our bulk CMOS IC simulations.
>
> Chris
>

>                     "Ashok Babu K"
>                     <k.ashokbabu@gdate       To:
> <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>                     ch.co.in>                cc:
>                     Sent by:                 Subject:     [SI-LIST] Re: Spice
> simulators
>                     si-list-bounce@fre
>                     elists.org
>

>                     10/11/01 01:46 AM
>                     Please respond to
>                     k.ashokbabu
>

> Hi All,
>
> I have gone through the discussions on SPICE tool on this list. Main
> contenders are HSPICE and PSPICE. What about other SPICE tools like
> ISPICE
> from Intusoft, or SPICE tools from Ansoft? Also some free SPICE tools
> like
> WinSPICE are avalable. What about their limitations? What about price
> comparisons of PSPICE and HSPICE?
>
> Actually we would like to purchase Spice tool for our simulations at
> OC48
> and OC192 systems. We considered PSPICE and HSPICE. The PSPICE pricing
> is
> given as about 4500USD in their website, and no idea about HSPICE. Can
> anyone give us an idea about HSPICE pricing and its updates etc? We
> are
> awaiting response from Avanti, but we hope the response very fast in
> this
> list.
>
> At high frequencies, frequency dependent lossy transmission line modes
> W-Element transmssion line models are used extensively. Is this model
> supported only in HSPICE? Can PSPICE support this? Does PSPICE has its
> [...]

List archives are viewable at: