[SI-LIST] Re: Spice simulators - HSPICE vs PSPICE

  • From: <chris.h.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:07:05 -0500

Ashok,

I don't know the current price of HSPICE, but I believe the PSPICE
price, if you include the schematic entry package, is more than $4500.
One advantage of PSPICE over HSPICE is that PSPICE does have a
schematic entry interface, whereas HSPICE requires that you use a text
editor to enter the SPICE model lines into an ASCII input file.  There
are people who ARE using schematic entry to enter HSPICE simulations,
but I don't believe that theses schematic editors are commercially
supported for that purpose.

As far as modelling multi-GHz signals, the transmission line model
built into PSPICE is completely inadequate.  Or at least it were a
couple of years ago when I did a comparison of model vs. measurement.
The w-element model in HSPICE is as accurate as anything I've come
across in a commercial tool.  (That's not to say that it's perfect.)
The w-element is not supported by PSPICE.  Given this I would say that
even if the cost of HSPICE is more than the cost of PSPICE, it's worth
the money if accuracy in transmission line models is important.

As far as simulating integrated circuits, I believe that HSPICE is
used very widely and supports BSIM MOSFET models.  We use it for all
of our bulk CMOS IC simulations.

Chris

                    "Ashok Babu K"

                    <k.ashokbabu@gdate       To:     <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    ch.co.in>                cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [SI-LIST] Re: Spice
simulators
                    si-list-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    10/11/01 01:46 AM

                    Please respond to

                    k.ashokbabu

Hi All,

I have gone through the discussions on SPICE tool on this list. Main
contenders are HSPICE and PSPICE. What about other SPICE tools like
ISPICE
from Intusoft, or SPICE tools from Ansoft? Also some free SPICE tools
like
WinSPICE are avalable. What about their limitations? What about price
comparisons of PSPICE and HSPICE?

Actually we would like to purchase Spice tool for our simulations at
OC48
and OC192 systems. We considered PSPICE and HSPICE. The PSPICE pricing
is
given as about 4500USD in their website, and no idea about HSPICE. Can
anyone give us an idea about HSPICE pricing and its updates etc? We
are
awaiting response from Avanti, but we hope the response very fast in
this
list.

At high frequencies, frequency dependent lossy transmission line modes
W-Element transmssion line models are used extensively. Is this model
supported only in HSPICE? Can PSPICE support this? Does PSPICE has its
own
model? Some SPICE tools support only RLC models. I feel that they
maynot be
sufficient at frequencies of 2.5GHz. Can you please shed some light on
this?

Also we would like to use HSPICE for our ASIC backend services? Will
it be
feasible?

Thanks and Regards,
Ashok.