[SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter to Circuit Model extraction?

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:52:43 -0800

Hi Inmung,

We at Mentor Graphics have a good solution to your problem. Given the =
set of measured S-parameter we can build the compact PLS-format model, =
suitable for direct simulation in ELDO/ADMS or, this PLS model can be =
transformed into not-so-compact SPICE-compatible equivalent circuit. All =
the process is entirely automatic. Causality and passivity are =
guaranteed.

Of course, to get a sound model, the original data should be measured =
with sufficient resolution and within a sufficiently wide frequency =
band.

If necessary, we can re-create the S-parameters from performing AC =
analysis of any linear circuit (perhaps, SPICE can also do that easily). =
However, when creating such S-parameters, it is not enough just to set =
equidistant or logarithmic stepping. When building S-parameters, in AC =
sweep, ELDO has an adaptive mode, where it changes the step adaptively =
so as not to miss an important resonance peaks in the generated =
dependence. We found this mode to be necessary.
=20
We prefer using the PLS form as it simulates for an order (or more) =
faster than equivalent circuit. Surprisingly, it also produces more =
accurate results. You can refer to our recent DesignCon2006 paper: Fast =
Time-Domain Simulation of 200+ port S-parameter package model.

Vladimir

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:51:30 +0100
From: "Ing. Giancarlo Guida" <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter to Circuit Model extraction?

HI Inmyung Song,
if I well understood your question
you are asking how to create a circuit that could match
a set of S-parameter you measured.

The problem is not trivial and depending on the bandwidth of your
measurement could also very difficult to be accomplished manually
especially because
you should preserve the causality of your equivalent circuit.

there are on the market several commercial tools that could do the
job in minutes... you may want to consider to evaluate one of them.

I am using for this task CST Microwave Studio and
I find it very useful for this task.

Hope this helps
Giancarlo

=B5=A8=C5=B8=BC=D2=B3=E2 ha scritto:
>  P{margin-top:2px;margin-bottom:2px;}=20
> Hello,=20
>
>  =20
>
> I measured some PCB structures and Wafers by VNA to get the =
S-parameters.=20

> As I know, there are many extraction algorithm in this world, right?=20
>
> But I know only one technique which is EO's paper in 1992.=20
>
> If anyone knows other methodologies, please reply me.=20
>
>  =20
>
> By the way, to compare the measured S-parameter with the simulated
> S-parameter from circuit model,=20
>
> I think that I have to do spice simulation. But I am not sure the =
spice can
> extract S-parameter from=20
>
> frequency dependant circuit models.=20
>
> And which circuit model is more accurate, for example PI-Model, =
T-Model,
> Telegraph Equation.?=20
>
>  =20
>
> Thank for your reading.=20
>
>  =20
>
> Inmyung Song.
>

> =BB=EC=B7=C1=B6=F3! =B4=E7=BD=C5=C0=C7 =BD=BA=C5=B8=C0=CF! =
=BB=EF=BC=BADMB=C6=F9 32,000=BF=F8[1] [IMG]

http://click.paran.com/paran.php?p_eye=3Dmega^ban^ban^ban^send_mail&rurl=3D=
http://megazone.paran.com/pointparty/cashparty.view.action

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: