[SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter Bisection

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Luciano Boglione'" <l.boglione@xxxxxxxx>, "'Grossman, Brett'" <brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Moeller, Merrick'" <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:52:19 -0800

Guys,

I would first create a specification and requirement list detailing THRU
(transmission sans DUT) accuracy, insertion and return loss numbers versus
bandwidth, etc.,    your calibration has to be significantly better than
your DUT, but not a LOT better to make most practical measurements.  If a
simple THRU on your test board has -15dB return loss (using simple SOLT cal)
at 5GHz and your DUT has similar numbers your in trouble no matter what you
do, simply put your fixture may need a redesign.   We have found poor
fixture design, and inconsistency wreaks havoc on ALL the de-embedding and
calibration approaches (TRL/LRM, T-matrix, using TDNA measure-modeling
methods, etc.,).

So as to not fall into a rat hole and succumb to matrix and calibration
madness we typically specify our calibration objectives first, based on our
overall measurement objectives (again, related to the DUT performance), then
select test board materials (FR4 versus low loss dielectrics), calibration
approach, calibration kit (for TRL), launch (simple SMA versus 2.92mm).

This approach becomes much more important when there is a team of folks
addressing the problem.   By establishing a specification and having the
team (and customer) first buy into it you make life easier for yourself
also.

Alfred P. Neves      <*)))))><{

Hillsboro Office:
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 718 7172   Business
(503) 679 2429   Mobile

Main Corporate office:
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC