[SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter Bisection

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Moeller, Merrick" <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:54:57 -0800

If you want to break the line down into smaller pieces I think you will
need to convert to an equivalent circuit model, perform the splitting
and scaling that you desire and then if you want to stay in S
parameters, convert back.  Scaling only makes physical sense if the
transmission line is well behaved over the frequency range of interest.
The return loss problem you describe implies one or more substantial
discontinuities.  You should try and determine if those exist within
your fixture, your DUT, or at the interface.

For ideas on how to do rigorous deembedding, you might want to look into
the Physical Layer Reference Design that Teraspeed and Simberian
developed.  You can contact Al Neves in the Portland office.

Steve.
Moeller, Merrick wrote:

> Is it possible to split a passive S-parameter matrix into two equal
> sections?
>

> For example; given s-parameters for a transmission line of a 10" length
> can the matrix be split into two 5" lengths. Assume that the passive
> s-parameter obeys reciprocity.
>

> The reason I'm asking is that I have a test fixture on each end of my
> measurement that I'm trying to de-embed. The insertion loss can be
> subtracted very easily, but the return loss and other parameters have a
> great deal of error dealing with de-embedding from one side of the DUT
> only. I'm hoping to break the fixture into two equal parts without
> having a direct point of measurement to do so otherwise.
>

> Merrick M. Moeller
>

> The information contained in this electronic mail message is
> privileged and confidential information, may be subject to the
> attorney-client privilege and is intended solely for the use of
> the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any
> disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action
> in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
> notify me immediately.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: