[SI-LIST] Re: Simulation Question in Spectra Quest.

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sivakumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:02:44 -0400

Sivakumar,

ibis2signoise runs ibischk3 for you, then runs other checks of its own.
Using MPC8260IBIS.ibs I saw 106 warnings (after fixing the file to
translate at all). Most of the warnings were for non-monotonic waveforms,
with reversals as much as 430mV! The waveforms were collected with
reactive loads, some of them around 62pF and 10nH, which explains the
non-monotonic behavior. Simulators are supposed to handle this, but I
believe IBIS committee members have agreed in the past that reactive
test loads are not a good idea. They are supported in the IBIS specification
to facilitate creating IBIS models from physical measurements of packaged
parts. But it is difficult to create a simulation model from this data.

For what it's worth, HSPICE gives warnings about the models but does
produce a waveform. The 800V output range is somewhat suspect, however :-)

What can be done? I find that simply removing the l_dut parameters
from the IBIS file makes it simulate in SPECCTRAQuest. However, simulating
into a test load that replicates one of the waveform test fixtures results
in an unacceptable match. I don't recommend doing this. It would be nice if
Motorola were to submit this file to the IBIS Model Review committee. I
suspect they would see that the various simulators respond quite differently
to the models.

Mike LaBonte