[SI-LIST] Re: Should I go on a shopping spree to Amazons?

  • From: Tegan Campbell <Tegan.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ludvik@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ludvik@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:25:18 -0600

Ludvik,
I was working to learn about power distribution on a PCB about a year ago
and received some very good advice, which I will pass on.  I think the same
principles would extend to the IC.  I am a #2 on the list(hehe....sorry, had
to) and don't feel I have enough expertise to answer many questions
presented to the list.  Since I feel bad about being a sinkhole for info
other people share with us(the list in general, not you and I), I will try
to share the 'good stuff' I found in researching.

I started with the papers written by people who regularly contribute to the
list, most notably the Sun folks.  Many of them are available at the
technical doc site listed in the footer, the others are available on Istvan
Novak's home page(quick google search).  Another source, though probably not
as applicable to on-silicon PDS, is XAPP 623 from Xilinx.  Very good
practical discussion of on board issues.

I found the calculator available on the UltraCad web site to be easy to use.
I haven't been able to reliably measure down to the accuracy where I would
say it is 'good' or 'bad', but I think it does a good job of giving you an
idea of where things are headed with an easy interface.  It's an excel
worksheet they encrypt and license for $65 or something.
If anyone out there has made accurate measurements and can share their model
vs measured findings I would appreciate it.

I think the point of this message is there are many resources dealing with
power distribution, and I don't think spending money on a book(a rather
expensive book) would be the best use of your time or money.

Tegan