[SI-LIST] Separating IBIS or Spice models into single model files for ICAP/4 import (Intusoft)

  • From: Peter Sørensen <pso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:48:06 +0200

Hi Everyone

I am new to this list and a beginner in SI simulations, but an =
experience HW
designer, including a number of high speed point to points PCB =
interfaces. I
have a basic understanding of difference between IBIS and spice models, =
but
zero knowledge of syntax inside these files.

I have ofcourse send this question to Intussoft support but I am in a =
hurry
as the PCB layout has allready started. So in case they can not help me, =
and
because most of you reside in the USA timezone while I am in Europe I =
pose
this question to you before I get the answer from Intusoft.

The background:
I want to simulate Embedded CPUs and FPGA's as DDR2 host with one or two
DDR2 devices connected (not DIMMS, just components) I want to do this to
verify that I do not need external termination resistors and power in =
these
cases. Perhaps I even disable the buildin termination of the databus =3D =
ODT.
This will save power and board space.

I know a digital simulator would properly not have these problems, but =
they
are expensive and our need is very limited. I got ICAP/4Windows with a =
build
in IBIS2SPICE converter specifed to work with IBIS version through 3.2! =
4.0?
I converted all the IBIS 3.2 and 4.0 models with the converter and only =
got
warnings that it has shorten model names for some unknown reasons. The
shorten of names seems foolish and will increase the work to select the
proper model, but no reel problem.

The problem:
Then I tryed to import the converters output =3D 'library'.lib files and =
got
errors. First of all some additional options in the version 4.0 files =
for
Microns DDR2 ram generates an error that the spice file must start with
.model, this is properly not too difficult to handle but any help is
appreciated.

The second and worse problem is that the documentation for ICAP/4 state =
that
each file to import must only contain one model. The micron files holds =
2
models and some .subcircuits. The host IBIS files holds many models and =
many
.subscircuits=20
It is my guess is that the subcircuits are common for all or some models =
in
the file, but i am only guessing as I do not know the syntax. What is =
the
easies way to separate these model and get them imported to ICAP/4 so I =
can
start building my circuits? Please note I am pretty sure I can choose to
seperate either the IBIS or the spice.lib file whatever is the easies.

Best regards

Peter

Nb I see a tentence where windows application programmers try to add =
some
semi intelligense to their programs, but forget to support what a =
computer
do best, routine repetions and large amount of stupid syntax driven data
handling. I hope I am wrong in this case.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.=20
5:46 PM
=20

Checked by AVG Free Edition.=20