[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology; Circular Firing Squad?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ron@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:15:53 -0700

Ron, I like experiments.  Try this:  Instead of traces just get two 1
meter pieces of coax and a coupler with a very low VSWR.  TDR each of
the cables.  How long is it?  Join them with the coupler?  How long is
it now?

Here's another to think about.  Get a power splitter with a very low
VSWR value and a length of matching coax, say 1 meter long, and a couple
of terminators.

Experiment #1:  TDR to 0dB splitter port.  Terminator on -6dB port A.
Coax on -6dB port B.  Terminator at the far end of the coax.  What does
the TDR report?
Experiment #2:  Same as #1 but reverse which end of the coax is on port
B and which is terminated.  What does the TDR report?
Experiment #3:  Remove the terminator from the end of the coax.  What
does the TDR report?
Experiment #4:  Connect the coax between port A and port B of the power
splitter.  What does the TDR report?

I hope that we all agree that in Experiments 1 and 2 if the matching is
perfect the TDR reports an infinite length line.  Similarly, Experiment
3 reports a 1 meter line, and Experiment 2 a 0.5 meter line.  We can
explain all of these results with either the reflection or the
propagation models.  As much as it offends you to think that the signal
does not propagate all the way down the coax, why then do you think the
first three experiments behave as they do?  In each case we used the
identical piece of coax.  The crowd that I belong to look at that coax,
see that it is unchanged from Experiment 1 to Experiment 4 and therefore
take the view that the TDR suffers the illusion of a reflection.

Now connect a pulse generator to a power splitter 0dB port.  Connect a
fast scope through a short piece of coax to the -6dB A port.  Connect
one end of the 1 meter coax to the -6dB B port.  Do the same thing with
a second pulse generator at the opposite end.  Set the pulse generators
to orthogonal pulse rates.

Experiment #5:  With the left side pulse generator set to 0 amplitude,
fire a train of widely spaced pulses from the right side pulse
generator.  What does each scope channel report?

Experiment #6:  Repeat #5 but with the right side pulse generator set to
0 amplitude and the left side generator issuing pulses.  What does each
scope channel report?

Experiment #7:  Now allow each pulse generator to drive but at rates
that are orthogonal to each other.  What does each scope channel report?

Does the continuous propagation model correctly predict the results of
each experiment or not?  If it does, why is it so much "foolishness"?
Do images from one pulse generator not arrive at the opposite scope port
superimposed on the local pulses Tflight_1meter after launch?

If that doesn't strike your fancy, try the LASER pointer experiments.

In the greater ultimate TRUTH, it might be that wavefronts reflect in
such a way as to mimic continuous propagation.  Or it could be that EM
waves really do propagate independently of one another.  Or it may be
that we are all the puppets of the ElectroMagnetic Pixies who manipulate
all our perceptions to their whimsical desires.  The problem is that
without any difference in the predicted outcome we can't discern the
ultimate TRUTH.  What we can do is use the simplest solution that
predicts the right results, or a more complicated one if it suits us.  I
vote simple.

Regards,

Steve.

--
Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: