[SI-LIST] Re: Sanmina patent on dielectric thicknesses under 4 mi ls

  • From: "Denomme, Paul S." <Paul.Denomme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx'" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>,"'JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rfmeas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:22:51 -0500

Sanmina has a patent on the buried capacitance material which is a 2 mil
core that has the smooth surface of the copper closest to the dielectric
material and the dendritic side of the material on the outside.  Any board
shop that manufactures boards using this  buried capacitance material must
obtain licensing.  I do not believe you need to obtain a license to use it
in your design, just to manufacture it.  The reason buried capacitance
material was patentable is that the dendrites in the copper are on the
outside and the smooth surface is on the inside closest to the material.

I recommend using 4 mil prepreg minimum. If you need the added capacitance
use 2 mil buried capacitance and a Board supplier that is licensed to
process the material.  It does cost extra for the buried capacitance, so if
you can live with 4 mil dielectrics, use it and save your company some
money.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul S. Denomme