[SI-LIST] Re: SV: Total load capacitance

  • From: Jim Freeman <freeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:36:27 -0800

Hi All,
    The problem with ignoring the capacitance of the line and relying
totally on the transmission line effects is that there will be different
levels on the receiving end for differeing digital transmission
patterns. If you are considering a signal that is always alternating,
the levels may degrade but are still above and below Vih and VIL. If the
data is coded such that there is always an alternating value, data
transmission is acceptable under these conditions. There are three
classes of digital transmission on any buss, address,data, and control.
rarely can the address be coded and clock signal integrity may be
compromised with the transmission line only approach. If parallel
termination is used for the clock, there will be no reflection but the
levels suffer and may be unacceptable. In most cases, I have found that
a driver that is capable of enough DC current to drive a parallel
termination is easily capable of driving a series termination without DC
load under equivalent loading conditions. there are different
considerations for source synchronous busses as well as busses that use
a clock recovery system.

Thanks
Jim Freeman

List archives are viewable at: