[SI-LIST] Re: SSTL/DDR series termination

  • From: Brad5m@xxxxxxx
  • To: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:50:55 EDT

Hello Ravinder -

Thanks a bunch for the help. No matter how good stuff looks "on paper",  it's
nice to hear from someone who has successfully translated it to hardware.
Yes, I realize that every implementation is different and that I need to
simulate for my own design, but at least now I know that I'm not attempting
something that's impossible.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks,
Brad Cook
5M Consulting
Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Brad,

I have done a similar implementation in our design.  In my case the interface
is between an ASIC and a single DDR chip, and  the trace length is about 2".
The ASIC has 50 ohm drivers and the  interconnects are also designed for  50
ohm impedance.  So I have  placed series terminations on Data and Strobe lines
at the DRAM end only.  After extensively simulating the interface, I decided
not to put any  terminations on the Address and Control lines.  The
differential clock  has both series and parallel terminations.  I experienced
cross-talk
 problem in the first board revision, as I had not simulated for the worst
case  cross-talk.  I have had no problem with the interface since then.

Recently I simulated the same topology  for DDR2 interface and it still works
quite well.

Regards, Ravinder
Server PCB  Development
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Email:  Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brad5m@xxxxxxx
Sent by:  si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
10/21/2005 08:41 AM
Please respond  to
Brad5m@xxxxxxx

si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[SI-LIST] SSTL/DDR  series termination

Hi all -

This is my first time here -- please be gentle, and  thanks for your  help!

I'm doing a design using a single 512Mb  DDR2 attached to an FPGA and I'm
entertaining the use of series  termination for at least some of the
interface
between them, but  still trying to convince myself that it will all work OK.
The
major  impetus in using series term is that I could potentially  entirely
lose
the Vtt supply, which would be highly desirable. The only  thing  *more*
desirable is that it all works when I'm done.

The scheme is  as follows:
-point-to-point connection between FPGA and DDR2
-trace  lengths in the .75-1.25" range (a guess)
1) The unidirectional signals  (e.g., address) from FPGA to DDR2 will be
"series terminated" by  judicious setting of the FPGA output drive.
2) Same for the bidirectional  signals (e.g., data) when driven by the  FPGA.
3) My 1st choice for  managing the DDR=>FPGA data direction would be to
select a trace  impedance that works well with one of the two available DDR2
drive
strengths (maybe 75 ohms/reduced drive?). If that doesn't work, I could
presumably use resistors by the DDR to series terminate the "read"  direction.

I have simulated the FPAG=>DDR2 direction, and with  appropriate output
current settings on the FPGA it seems to look  fine. It looks pretty much
just  like
the parallel terminated  (50-Vtt) case, only it has more amplitude. I
haven't
done the other  direction yet (IBIS problem), but don't expect it to be
*too*
different since it is also an SSTL18 driver.

The SSTL18 and DDR2  JEDEC specs contain a receiver parameter "Vswing(max)"
that appears  to say that signal amplitude must be no greater than 1Vpp. If I
am
reading  that correctly, then it would appear that my series termination
scheme  would violate the specs as it would generate > 1Vpp signals. Am I
reading
this correctly??

So my questions are:
1) Any  comments on Vswing(max)? Does it preclude the use of series
termination alone, or am I somehow reading it wrong? Any ideas of  the risks
if I
ignore it??
2) Anyone else out there already done  what I'm attempting to do here, and
want to tell me about it? I am  especially interested in hearing comments
such as
"don't even think about  it" or "no problem" -- but only if they're true!
3) Any other  comments/potential gotchas/etc.?

The goal here, as always, is to have  the simplest design possible, but no
simpler.
Thanking the  DDR2/SSTL/SI experts in advance ...
Brad Cook
5M  Consulting
Ann  Arbor,  MI

or to administer your membership from a web page,  go to:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list

For  help:
si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject  field

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical  documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
or at our remote  archives:
Old (prior to June 6,  2001) list archives are viewable at:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: