[SI-LIST] Re: SSTL2 / HSTL Input buffer

  • From: Robert Kezer <Robert.Kezer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jj_srini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jj_srini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:12:52 -0500

If I understand the question, you are letting the input to a HSTL or SSTL
buffer
float?

If this is the case, the output of the input buffer is undefined and subject
any noise coupled on the floating input. Unless there is an internal pullup
or
pull down, which I doubt. This can lead to oscillatory behavior due to
enviromental
noise.

The worst case is if the output of the input buffer settles in the middle of
logical
threshold of the down stream gates it connects to. For deep sub-micron
technologies
this can lead to pre-mature failure due to the high probability of hot
electrons being
generated and striking the silicon-insulator interface at the bottom of the
poly gate.

Bob