[SI-LIST] Re: [OT] Offshore engineering

  • From: Sainath Nimmagadda <intrinsi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:13:57 -0800 (PST)

Alex,

>Technologies like software, layout and consumer product design can be mastered
>>offshore but cutting edge skills like signal integrity won't be mastered as
>easily.

Above statement gives much relief and may offer solution to our predicament.
Which particular aspects of SI are difficult to master offshore? Please answer
this and I won't worry about offshore engineering.

Regards,
Sainath
Alex Horvath <alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think some here may be exaggerating the capability of the engineering talent
offshore. I have worked with over a dozen individuals on temporary work visas.
They were paid very low wages but were placed in the company by recruitment
firms specializing in temporary offshore engineering talent. In general they
had very good academic skills but virtually no practical experience. In most
cases we had to redo most of what they did and in at least 2 cases the managers
said he would not use that source again and was very disappointed in skills of
these individuals.

Technologies like software, layout and consumer product design can be mastered
offshore but cutting edge skills like signal integrity won't be mastered as
easily. I think the lesson here is to keep your skills at a high level. Of
course many managers seem to believe that engineering talent is a commodity and
can be interchanged at will with no consequences. Those companies will suffer
or fail. I have seen it happen on numerous occasions.
Scott McMorrow wrote:
Aubrey,
Eventually your only defense is to work for yourself, or for a company
that honors individuals and their contribution. Just because you're
paranoid about companies out sourcing engineering jobs to other
countries, doesn't mean you're delusional. But, until we engineers quit
being loners, subject to splitting and triangulation by management, and
band together for our common good, we are destined to see a huge "brain
drain" offshore. Eventually a person has to stand up and be counted and
say, "I'm sorry, I will not train my replacement," whether they be local
or off shore talent, and then move on to a place where your skills are
appreciated.

Just remember what I once heard from a consultant friend:

When you work for a company, you have the illusion of security.
When you work for yourself, you have the illusion of freedom.

The question is, what illusion would you like to live your life as an
engineer under? Personally, I choose the illusion of freedom. I then
have to deal with the reality of having a bastard for a boss.

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC